BRACKEN FERN! ANY ADVICE PLEASE.

If you have any questions about the new 'Beyond the Brink' book or it's contents, please make them here so others can respond or take part in any debate.

Moderator: webmaster

marni

BRACKEN FERN! ANY ADVICE PLEASE.

Post by marni » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Anyone had much experience with Bracken Fern, i would really like some advice as to rid of this weed naturally. We have tried to slash it, but it come back much worse that ever before. I have already lost 2 cows to it Bracken Fern Toxicity and want it gone from our property. Poisoning it seem to be the only way, and we have had excellent results from doing this in certain parts of our property, but know after reading Peters books, i am certainly trying to take a different approach with using fertilisers and chemicals on our property. We are currently trialling Peters ideas on our farm to great success, but not having any luck with Bracken Fern. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Marni

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Marni, this only my two bobs worth, as Peter and Duane have a highter understanding of what you need to do.
Firstly understanding what you have is the main part of your troubles, after reading a great deal on Peters ways and being involed in this forum, you soon learn that nothing happens straight away. But that being said the sooner you get a image of how you wish to have your land the easier it is to figure out how to get there.
Not knowing where you live or what your land looks like is always going to be hard for anyone to tell you what you need to do. But slashing will help, but it only does so much. The Bracken fern is telling a story of how your land is coping. My guess is that it is not doing to well, going by your letter how its taking over, but that also means that you need to get more carbon above and around your area in need.
Is there anywhere on your land to stop the runoff of a rain event to capture your carbon from leaching into the lower areas. It's vital that you make sure that most of your water that runs over the top of the land is caught before it can travel to far over the land. By having a series of contours going across your land to capture this, this starts a series of events that can help lower the problems you say that you have.
Have a look on page 99 of Peters book Back from the Brink, it gives you a diagram that you can work by.
Always keep an open mind

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Also Marni use the Genaral questions area for your concern, otherwise its hard for others to come back and find your intrest.
Always keep an open mind