Transforming rural land use by Ross Garnaut

This is such an important issue which will no doubt effect all of us one way or the other once governments get their way.

The serious introduction of NSF however, would have an incredible positive effect on the numbers being thrown around out there.

Because so many subscribers on this forum have passionate ideas about this subject, I thought we should open an area which would be dedicated to this subject only.

That way, the thousands of visitors we get to to this site, will be able to see quite quickly what postive effects NSF would have if more land owners instigated its principles.

Moderator: webmaster

andy

Transforming rural land use by Ross Garnaut

Post by andy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:54 pm

According to an Age newspaper article ( The Age, Saturday 5th March 2011 ), climate change adviser Ross Garnaut has released his latest update paper, "Transforming rural land use".( sorry, i couldnt find a link available )
In the article, he is qouted as saying, " This could really take off."
Is Canberra finally waking up that biosequestration in Agriculture is probably this country's best potential source of greenhouse gas abatement \ carbon storage.
Perhaps Garnaut has even heard of Peter Andrews and Natural Sequence Farming?

oakwdpk

Re: Transforming rural land use by Ross Garnaut

Post by oakwdpk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Has anyone here looked at the new carbon farming initiative in Aus? I only found out about it the day after community consultation closed on the program, 4th of April or thereabouts, but essentially it will provide landowners / farmers with tradeable credits for carbon savings on farm. Eg, I think, from storing soil carbon, or in trees, or reducing synthetic fertiliser usage etc. Has to be new activity, not something u were already going to do, but could be one to watch as shifting the financial incentives towards soil management and sustainability. The scheme will sit alongside the eventual carbon trading credits, which won't include agriculture to fit international scheme agreements, but so at least in Aus the significant potential for farms to help global warming is being recognized. Wonder if the carbon / water link as per PA and NSF might get some play in here also??? Food for thought.

Shirley Henderson

Post by Shirley Henderson » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:39 am

The thing to watch for here is conditions. They may be imposed and NOT suit NSF. I would like for this to be a positive but it may need some guidance in regards to management. A great direction but be wary of WHO has control! :|

oakwdpk

Post by oakwdpk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:56 am

From the teeny bit I've seen, folk like the Farmers Federation are involved so there should be SOME practical voices in there. Id hope the organic and permaculture guys might get into it too, providing some Further diversity in the debate. Interesting in that one thing it will require is co2 measurements, so the debate in another thread about measuring Ian and jodies exhaust carbon would further needed! :shock: have a nice day all.

duane

Post by duane » Mon May 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Coal seam gas is about to blow rural land use right out of the park.

Check out Ian Suttons link on Youtube.....it should scare the hell out of everyone !!

http://youtu.be/TOa4dyEkOhc