NSF Introductory Course Launched

Where daily bits of info can be added and discussed.

Moderator: webmaster

duane

NSF Introductory Course Launched

Post by duane » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Finally, after many years of twoing and froing, an introductory 1 day course on NS will be launched next month on the 4th February in Bathurst NSW.

Entitled "Natural Landscape Function" it will be a 1 day workshop.

Introduction

Australia currently faces a myriad of natural resource management
problems ranging from salinity and erosion to water shortages and
changing regional climates. Our increasing population is revealing
pressures on natural systems as farmers are asked to produce more
with less and all landholders, small and large, struggle with conflicting
advice on weeds, chemicals and fertilisers.
One thing consistent in most of the discussion around these points is a
lack in understanding of how natural systems function.

The Solution

Australia requires our Natural Resource Managers, from the garden
to the farm to the reserve, to understand the fundamentals of how
Australian ecosystems and natural processes work. Only then can we
make decisions which rebuild the lost productivity of our landscapes,
halt the loss of species and reduce the profligate wastage of water,
nutrients and carbon.
Fortunately the tools to reverse this trend are all around us in the form
of plants, and one person who understands plants better than most is
Peter Andrews.

The Program

Famous for starting the Natural Sequence Farming movement, Peter Andrews caused a stir with his
unconventional views on agriculture and the way Australian waterways work. His book “Back from the Brink”
is still a best seller and his appearance on ABC television’s Australian Story brought national and international
attention.
This program is about drilling into the fundamentals of Peter’s knowledge, supported by a range of experts
and based on the proven results of his 30 year experiment, valued by a group of independent scientists at
$100 million. It is important that this information is available to as many people as possible.
The course will:
• Introduce how to “read” your landscape so you can understand what’s going on.
• Explain the history of Australia, what we had, what we have and why the change matters.
• Help you understand water – nutrient movement, salinity, erosion and wetlands.
• Deepen your understanding of plants – what they do and how they do it.
• Introduce you to Ecosystem Function – the processes that regulate life.

Program Details[/b

]How: A one day workshop
When: Saturday 5th February, 9am - 4pm
Where: Rahamim Ecological Learning Centre,
34 Busby Street, Bathurst NSW
Cost: $195 per person
Contact: To book call 1300 853 525, or for more information visit http://skillset.com.au/Training/ShortCo ... fault.aspx

All welcome.
Last edited by duane on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angela Helleren

Re: NSF Introductory Course Launched

Post by Angela Helleren » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:36 am

Duane, the link you posted didn't work for some reason.

This one works!

http://skillset.com.au/Training/ShortCo ... fault.aspx

Fantastic news! Cheers :D
Many hands make light work.
Unfortunately, too many hands stirring anti clockwise, has spoiled mother natures recipe.
Back to basics.

duane

Post by duane » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks Angela....I have changed the above email address to the correct one that you alerted me to.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Duane

Congradulations on getting a course together, at a price that is reasonable as well. But, like most people probably, I don't get to visit the forums very often, it was only by luck that I came in here today. And being the president of the local chapter (Upper Murrumbidgee) it would be nice to be able to inform members of things like courses. And being at Bathurst, which is relativily close to our area attendance would have been possible for some of our members.

Our chapter has, and will continue to have, stands promoting NSF at local shows and field days - having done a course in NSF would greatly enhance our ability to impart information at these events to perspective practionors, potential new members and interested parties.

As today is the 1st of Feb and the course is on the 5th it's a little late for people to organise themselves to attend - specially farmers. To add insult to injury we even had a delegate at the last Governing Body meeting on 19th of January from which we were told nothing - less then two weeks ago.

It would be nice to know what the plans are for future courses so we can better inform our members.

regards

Martyn Noakes
President Upper Murrumbidgee Chapter, NSA

duane

Post by duane » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi Martyn

The NS introductory course at Bathurst has been set up and run by Ashley Bland and John Fry through Skillset and Rahamin.

It has been sanctioned by Peter Andrews but has no official ties with the NSF Inc.

I only found out that it was on myself last tuesday.....not that I was unaware of it being in the pipeline for over 12 months.

This is being run and held as a trial to see the response.....they like us at NSF Inc are short of funds.....and if the response is good it may be self supporting and they will be able to roll out the program further to meet demand.

Don't be disappointed.....

Meanwhile, we at the Governing Body have started to write the follow up course to the Bathurst intro course.

It will be run over 8 days and designed for farmers and land managers.

It will be up and running this year 2011 after a very long gestational period.

matto

Post by matto » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:54 pm

I look forward to it Duane, 8 days seems more extensive rather than 1 day. And on the ground learning would be very beneficial.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks Duane

Did anybody do the course or heard how it went?? Some feed back about it would be good.

Martyn
Martyn Noakes
Bredbo Valley View Farm
Bredbo NSW

duane

Post by duane » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Martyn

This has just come in from one of the presenters, Ashley Bland with an accompanying feedback letter.
Hello Gents,

Thought you might be interested in seeing some feedback from our first public NLF workshop.

We had 10 attendees (with little advertising and a short time frame), one of which was Greg Wilkes who John has worked with in the past.

He provides some constructive criticism for us which is much appreciated - not least because it shows we are on the right track.

This day is ideal for creating ‘fertile conditions for growth’ in people’s minds – and not just farmers and lifestyle blockies; every bureaucrat in the country should do this!

We now need the follow-up courses and the financial support to make it affordable for people.

John, note Greg’s comment about the skills shortage.

Thanks and regards,

Ashley Bland
Sustainability Manager

From: Gumtree Nursery [mailto:sales@gumtreenursery.com.au]
Sent: Friday, 11 February 2011 12:14 PM
To: enquiries
Subject: Natural Landscape Function 1 Fundmamentals
To whom it may concern,

I had the pleasure of attending the Skillset workshop introduction to Natural Landscape Function 1 Fundamentals on Saturday 5th February at Rahamin in Bathurst.

This workshop proved to be insightful and exceptionally well presented. The nature of the subject material addressed is so complex that further workshops are needed to really unravel these complexities and further address all issues. Ashley has a natural ability to explain these concepts in 'real' language that allowed and encouraged open discussion and thus greater understanding for all participants.

My current position brings me into contact with a number of concerned landholders who ARE seeking alternatives to the current 'conventional' land management practices and who would be interested in learning how to return the landscape to its former function and ultimate productivity. Unfortunately many farmers are under financial stress and the cost of attending is huge; not just in respect to course costs but also in loss of time, travel expenses etc. I hope that in the future this training will become part of the Farm Ready system or with some other subsidy to help offset costs.

There seems to be a shortage in skilled (and willing) workers in country NSW; I come into contact with farmers who are keen to revegetate their farmlands but don not have the time capacity to complete the works. Somehow we need to address this issue otherwise our increased knowledge will still not allow for on ground works to take place. Maybe Skillset can address this shortage in the future.

For the future productivity and health of our environment we need to leverage as many landholders as possible; these courses are a leap in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Greg Wilkes