NSA Website - What would you like to see?

Where daily bits of info can be added and discussed.

Moderator: webmaster

Ady

NSA Website - What would you like to see?

Post by Ady » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Members and interested people,
As part of the planning to upgrade the NSA website we are calling for your ideas and comments about the website.

What works?
What doesn't work?
What things would you like to see covered which aren't? (eg Where is Peter today? What's going on around the states/chapters? What would you like to know about?)
What do you think could be done better?

These will be taken into consideration as part of the upgrade to the site.

Looking forward to the ideas you have that can overcome some of the frustration some have had (including me). :wink:

Adrienne Furness

Stringybark

Post by Stringybark » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:51 am

More technical information, regarding NSF layouts and construction. Examples of successful contours, leaky weirs, erosion control?

Shirley Henderson

pictures

Post by Shirley Henderson » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:22 am

Lots of explanatory pictures

duane

Post by duane » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Presently, most would be aware of the THREE official websites for Natural Sequence Farming.

1. The MAIN information sites with Technical details and Peter's whereabouts etc is at www.nsfarming.com .There is also 'technical' how to info available on YouTube.

2. The first and oldest website is www.naturalsequencefarming.com was started by Peter's cousin, Lonnie Lee and gives a historical background to NSF when Peter was conducting his research at Tarwyn Park.

3. The newest of the 3 sites is the Natural Sequence Association website. Designed and set up by Bill Saunders of Cyberhorse fame. This is www.naturalsequenceassociation.org.au (NSA site) AND to save any confusion to anyone out there this is THE website Ady is looking for ideas.

Adrienne, it may also be good to get Bill to ask the same question on the NSA homepage......

CJW

web site improvement

Post by CJW » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 pm

It would seem like a good idea to provide clear links to all 3 websites on each of these sites.

The forum site somewhat disturbs me. I find it contains too much in the way of political debate/climate change arguments and too little in the way of hands on practical farming information and advice from practitioners who realize that all the arguing and debate on Carbon and what to do about it is a waste of hot air. When I want to see informed debate on Climate change, I go to www.climatechangenews.org thanks.

So please, stronger links between websites and please keep to NSF practical hands on information. This should not the place for political debates and views.
Colin Westwood.

Shirley Henderson

politics

Post by Shirley Henderson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:09 am

HI Colin, I agree with you that as much practical information is required for farmers but politics often needs to be discussed here. If it is in the right place, that is more helpful. I myself am guilty of becoming political in the wrong place because it is such a frustrating issue. The debate about NSF and politics should be open to everyone on this site because the argument exists and people need convincing. People that believe only native plants should be grown in Australia need to be able to come here and learn to understand the real function of plants and how hydrology works here. The introduction of exotic animals and everything else on this site has to be available for scrutiny and discussion. One person at a time, one landcare group, one farmer. You only need to look at the vote yesterday (Abbott Vs Turnbull) to see how one person can change the direction of a country.

novaris

Post by novaris » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:34 am

Hi Colin sorry to hear that the forum disturbs you.
In my experience the progress of any idea depends on the community that promotes it. Whenever you have a community you have politics, its unavoidable. If you suppress the natural discussion because it is broader than your vision of what is important then the community does not grow and the idea is not developed or promoted. Hands on practical information can and should be a significant part of the forum but not the only part. If the forum is well organised and moderated then you only need to read the parts that interest you.
Many forums I have used will often move the off topic content from one thread to its own or a more appropriate subject area within the forums.

One of the problems with sites like the one you pointed to are that they are really just preaching to the converted. It's a bit like walking into a church meeting and asking about meditation or maybe evolution. Most of the people there have the same beliefs. In forums of such as this while most of us are believers in the central theme (Peters work). Discussions occur based on a range of understandings of how his work relates to the world we live in. This diversity helps make the community of interest to new people and helps it grow. :)
Everything in moderation, including moderation.

novaris

Post by novaris » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:54 am

Regarding upgrading the NSA website I would love to see detailed case studies perhaps of failures as well as successes, and approved technical information.
Also as you progress if NSA farmers are attending any local farmers markets when and where would be good to know.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.

duane

Post by duane » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:25 am

This is from Matt who sent me an email. He is from the South Burnett BSA.

Personally I would like to see as a committee member of NSA South Burnett Chapter a better communication with integrated websites between the NSFA and it's chapters that will reach our target audience.

Matt

matt

Post by matt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Cheers Duane for the post.

just to add a few more ideas
- clear info on membership with the NSA
- a section on plant qualities/uses in nsf or some type of plant database
- get the nsf logo on the front welcome page
- a diary of peters events,talks field days on the nsa website
- a new web template to kick start the new year?
- did i mention possible chapters integrated with the NSA web site to update and notify people of their latest news :D

gwmbox

Post by gwmbox » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:20 am

I already raised this with Duana and then found this thread so thought I might as well raise it here to see if others agree or not.

As a new person to NSF I went looking for info and to be honest it is all over the place. With three different websites all working in their own ways and with linking between them not that intuative. So how to fix?

First, for those that have done the hard work getting the existing sites up and running with the addition of the content, need to be given a big pat on the back for their efforts, however there is a need for some coordination and organisation of the three websites.

My suggestion would be to see the NSF community combine as one large group and one dedicated website with all the information, photos, tutorials, blogs, forums and so on made available in the one location on the one website. The home page of the NSF can contain latest blog posts, latest forum posts, meeting dates/calendar of events, and so on - so visitors can quickly access new information immediatley.

I'd also offer our services to do the web design work (admin/moderators please fell free to delete this link if not appropriate) - see some of our work at (web site address deleted).
So what do you all think?
--

KLee

Website improvement

Post by KLee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Natural sequence farming is such an important concept and i good web presence will really help it along i think so here are some of my ideas:

• Integrate all 3/4 sites with clear sections within the site to separate the information that is currently separate by having the different web addresses and sharing common information like About us, Contact Us, FAQ’s instead of linking between sites. This includes Peter’s blog.
• Set up the forum as a NING.com forum much more user friendly, free and allows for uploading photos etc.
• Have a blog as the front page for news and commentary by Peter or yourself as they are very easily updated – I don’t think the forum is a good place for updates as it is not easy to navigate and people are not likely going to spend time searching for information they want they will just assume that it is not available it should be easy for everyone to become involved not just really loyal followers. Also post photos of events that Peter attends on this blog to keep people up to date and inspired .It is also easy to subscribe to the blog therefore removing the requirement for Newsletters saving time.
• Keep the calendar widget showing where Peter is and when

I really think a consistent image with one website would be the most beneficial thing you could do as for online presence – I hope this is of some use, I have some more ideas to if you are interested, or you want any clarification please ask.

Heres to NSF in 2010!

alan

Post by alan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:53 pm

KLee,

Come and join the new thread here:
http://naturalsequencefarming.com/forum ... =2753#2753