Humidity

If you have had good or negative results from other theories, you might let others know here.

The forum, its administration and Peter Andrews do not endorse any posts nor have any public statements to make about any theory other than NSF.

Individual poster's are responsible for all their own posts. This forum has no comment to make on them, however in the public interest we will allow them to be viewed.

Moderator: webmaster

greg

Humidity

Post by greg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Gidday all
I have been thinking that even though it doesn't rain much (especially at my place) but the humidity in the air is still there. Does anyone have a simple way of extracting this moisture from the air so that it can be fed to plants to keep them alive. I was thinking that if it can be a small unit thay doesn't require power then I could place it at each fruit tree and plant and keep them alive untill it rains again.
If anyone has any thoughts on this subject I would be very happy to hear from you.
Thankyou

Greg

duane

Post by duane » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Hey Greg

Good question.

There are dehumidifyers etc and other machines that can extract moisture from the air. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091856.htm

But in your case, why not use other plants.

Many plants extract moisture from the air inc plants in the Bromeliad family and the orchid family. We have many native orchids capable of this task.
Many conifers inc P.carribean and even our own She oaks.

You could experiment; get hold of spanish moss (Tillandsia) hang it in the trees; encourage mosses, ferns and other cyptograms, lichens etc and encourage greater biodiversity to create your own precipitation.

click on http://home.att.net/~SpanishMoss/mosspage.html

Suggest you do a Goggle search and then experiment.

CJW

Water from air

Post by CJW » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:44 pm

My experience is that if you can create a canopy and closely mimic a jungle environment, you will capture and recycle the moisture in the air without the need of irrigation or special devices with which to do this. As Peter advises, the plants themselves and nature will do all of the work for you.
Sit under any Casuarina tree on a hot day at the beach and it will be raining on you from the water captured and released by the foliage. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself.
Colin Westwood.

Shirley Henderson

condensation

Post by Shirley Henderson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:36 am

I would think a plastic canopy would capture the moisture and then it would drip. Build small structure next to your fruit trees and have it drip on the drip line or to containers that could irrigate. A slow but sure process.