Iconic ‘Tarwyn Park’ under threat from mining ‘lunacy’

‘Tarwyn Park’, home of Peter Andrews’ revolutionary method of landscape restoration and water management, ‘Natural Sequence Farming’ - is under threat from the proposed Bylong mine development by Kepco of Korea and Australia’s Cockatoo
Coal. HAVE YOUR SAY HERE....
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:09 am

‘Tarwyn Park’, home of Peter Andrews’ revolutionary method of landscape restoration and water management, ‘Natural Sequence Farming’ - is under threat from the proposed Bylong mine development by Kepco of Korea and Australia’s Cockatoo
Coal.
Familiar to many through the ABC’s Australian Story, Tarwyn Park has been celebrated nationally and internationally as a leading example of how degraded landscapes can be restored and natural water systems replenished.
Businessman Gerry Harvey, a strong supporter of Andrews and his work, has described Tarwyn Park’s potential loss to seemingly unchecked mine expansion as ‘sheer lunacy’.
‘Tarwyn Park is a living case-study of how we can get it right when it comes to water use and sustainable agriculture. The place should be a bloody shrine, not a hole in the ground. The irony – and stupidity - of possibly losing a place like Tarwyn to mining is simply breathtaking. What the hell are we thinking?’
Anglo American Coal Corporation onsold its exploration authorities to Korea’s stateowned Korea Electric Power Corp (Kepco) for $403M. Local miner Cockatoo Coal will operate the mine with an option for 30% ownership further down the track, in a
deal which now only requires final approval by the Foreign Investment Review Board. ‘Tarwyn Park’ lies wholly within the boundaries of the current exploration area.
The Forum for Peter Andrew's Natural Sequence Farming

ghosta

Re: Iconic ‘Tarwyn Park’ under threat from mining ‘lunacy’

Post by ghosta » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm

While it would be sad to see Tarwyn Park lost to coal mining, and personally devestating to Peter Andrews, I had to shake my head in disbelief when I read Gerry Harvey call the idea "lunacy".
Coming from a man who tramped all over many of Australias small retailers the hypocrisy is self evident.

matto

Post by matto » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:01 pm

This is very sad news we are seeing more of. Yobarnie, the landmark site of Keyline design of PA Yeomans fame, is under threat from development, Jackie French's site and catchment is under threat of mining being pushed through without proper enviromental assesments, Steve Irwins reserve is also under threat. These, along with Tarwyn Park, are sites of national significance.They are our heritage and gift to the world that should be protected.
Nature doesn't do bailouts, and cannot uproot and change profession. Im glad that the profile of Tarwyn Park has the community support, something these industrial ventures cannot achieve.
Please keep us posted on developments.

sceptic

Post by sceptic » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:20 am

Having passed through the Bylong Valley on many occassions I regard that area as one of the most beautiful in Australia and mining it really is a crime. But just to show what is possible, the state goverment a few months ago canned the contentious Bickham Coal Mine and just last weekend scrapped the Tillegra Dam. So with enough pressure (and oncoming elections) it is possible, however, I think you need to look at the whole Bylong Valley rather than just Tarwin Park, show people what is going to be lost by mining the valley.
The truth is out there.

duane

Post by duane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:19 am

As you can see from the following media release this is not just about TP but the whole Bylong Valley.

MEDIA RELEASEFor Immediate Release
Sunday, 13th November, 2010
Mining v. agriculture battle arrives in Bylong Valley
The battle for the protection of farming land from mining activity has opened a new
front today, with the announcement of the formation of the Bylong Valley Protection
Alliance.
The new group, established at a community meeting at Bylong over the weekend, has
appointed an interim executive and committee, pending full registration with the
Office of Fair Trading, which is expected to be completed in the coming weeks.
Around 40 people attended the meeting, which was addressed by local eco-tourism
operator Julia Imrie and Cathy Pattullo, a former resident of the Cumbo Valley, which
was badly affected by noise from the nearby Wilpinjong mine.
Interim President, local Jodie Nancarrow, said that the name “pretty much says it all.
It’s about protecting the Bylong Valley - and everything that’s so special and unique
about it. And the biggest threat at the moment is mining.” Earlier this year, Anglo
American Coal announced the sale of its proposed Bylong mine to Kepco of Korea
for $403M.
The Bylong Valley – with its celebrated annual charity ‘Mouse Races’ - has become
even better known in recent years with the sealing of the Bylong Valley Way, and is
now a significant tourist gateway from the Upper Hunter to the Central West.
Also under threat from the proposed mining activity is ‘Tarwyn Park’, home of Peter
Andrews’ revolutionary method of landscape restoration and water management,
‘Natural Sequence Farming’, and familiar to many through the ABC’s ‘Australian
Story’.
[Notes: Bylong is located approximately 90km north-east of Mudgee and 120km west
of Muswellbrook. While technically ‘Upper Hunter’ in terms of geography it comes
under Mid-Western Regional Council.]
Media Contacts:Jodie Nancarrow – Interim President – 02 63798252
(bylonggeneralstore@harboursat.com.au)
Craig Shaw – Interim Secretary – 0411 101988 (craig@craigshaw.com.au

sceptic

Post by sceptic » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am

Excellent.
The truth is out there.

ghosta

Post by ghosta » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Nobody likes mining in their own backyard. No incentives for the local population, only the downsides. The system in North America is better- the landowner sells the right to mine on his land, so he gets something out of it.

Angela Helleren

Post by Angela Helleren » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:02 am

Sorry, I don't like coal dust in my milk or water!!! :roll:

Pleased to see they're making a stand and more will stand alongside. It's time these foreign and Aussie coal mining companies look to cleaner , safer ways of making their living!

Keep us informed and let us know who to write to and where can we sign petitions?

Cheers
Many hands make light work.
Unfortunately, too many hands stirring anti clockwise, has spoiled mother natures recipe.
Back to basics.

ghosta

Post by ghosta » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 am

Angela Helleren wrote: It's time these foreign and Aussie coal mining companies look to cleaner , safer ways of making their living!
I agree with your sentiments and wish it were possible. But if Australia restricted or eliminated coal mining then the Asian market would look elsewhere for a source of steel making coal. This simply transfers the problem elsewhere...probably to third world countries who already have enough problems. It would also make steel making more expensive, and reduce demand for Australias iron ore. Both these mean a substantial reduction in our standard of living with healthcare, education and defence implications.

I dont believe the Australian public are prepared to wear this. Not to hard to look at Ireland as an example of where we would end up (for different reasons) and that is simply not a vote winner.

Protests such as the Bylong Vallley protest and similar can achieve more stringent environmental regulation. Although well short of what those involved would like, it still is a worthwhile gain.

Angela Helleren

Post by Angela Helleren » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:54 pm

ghosta -
This simply transfers the problem elsewhere...probably to third world countries who already have enough problems.
I agree with both parts of your statement...It is a problem no matter where operations are situated because big money gets the green light over local communities wellbeing! Give them an inch they take a mile. The mining companies weren't as worried about paying a resource tax here as they were that they would be faced with other countries also deciding to raise their fees. Mining always alters the landscape and we are the ones who pay for the environmental impact long after the mining companies move on.

Last week it was reported that while the Australian public have greatly reduced their water usage the mining industry has had an increase of 23%.
29 miners lost lives in 1 NZ coal mine is only 1 example of what these companies are prepared to sacrifice for their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....of course they wouldn't have been sending these men into an unsafe mine....would they?
Uranium mining in Kakadu is also suppose to be world best standards yet over 150 incidences of water contamination have occurred since mining commenced. Uranium mining will be the Asbestos of the 21st century.

As to our standard of living...we are very wasteful, working longer hours , yet importing more junk to fill our (often ) larger than needed homes. Everyone should look around their homes at the number of items they have that serve little purpose or rarely used....they usually end up in garage sales or the local dump. We've paid highly for the services you mentioned and more. Some built with our taxes then sold off by various governments leaving us to pay higher prices for those essential services. We wore the water restrictions and survived, we can do better in preserving our land and our future.
Unfortunately, too many hands stirring anti clockwise, has spoiled mother natures recipe.
Back to basics.

Angela Helleren

Post by Angela Helleren » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Just did a little search on Mining legislation in NSW and found this from Hansard ... re retrospective laws to combat Supreme court ruling.

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/p ... 0100519011
Back to basics.

Angela Helleren

Post by Angela Helleren » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am

Look out Gippsland, Vic - The Coal Companies are casting their eyes upon your rural properties NOW!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baill ... 1bexa.html
A CONTROVERSIAL scheme to export Victorian brown coal for use in overseas power stations - shelved by the Brumby government in 2009 - has been dusted off, as mining companies anticipate a more coal-friendly attitude from the new Baillieu government.

A West Australian-based company, Mantle Mining, has lodged an application with the new government for a coal exploration licence over a large area of prime dairy country and bushland near Mirboo North in South Gippsland.

Mantle chairman Martin Blakeman said yesterday he hoped eventually to develop mines to supply local power stations and an ambitious scheme by Melbourne-based Exergen to dry and export millions of tonnes of brown coal.
Advertisement: Story continues below

News of the venture comes as the new state government is believed to be preparing to launch an inquiry into ''mining opportunities in Victoria''.

Renewed interest in commercial exploitation of Victorian brown coal - one of the world's most carbon-intensive sources of energy - could conflict with Julia Gillard's new push to curb greenhouse emissions through a carbon price. .....

:roll:
Back to basics.