Tree Project

You may place links here to places that you think may interest those who frequent this site. They could be about NSF and the environment, which is the reason for this site, or the economy and other things which may effect NSF and its promotion..
Links that are thought to be irrelevant, will be removed.

Moderator: webmaster

matto

Tree Project

Post by matto » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:21 am

TreeProject is a non-profit community organisation dedicated to revegetating the Victorian landscape with indigenous trees, shrubs and grasses.
We work with farmers, landcare groups, park authorities, government authorities and hundreds of volunteers to achieve our goals.

TreeProject's largest volunteer activity is our Volunteer Growing Program, part of the Re-Tree Scheme. Through this program, hundreds of volunteers from Melbourne, Geelong, Bendigo and other areas take home a 'growing kit' to propagate and tend seedlings for farmers and landcare groups across Victoria.

By volunteering to grow seedlings, our volunteers are providing practical assistance to Victorian landholders, who may plant less or no seedlings without this help. It's a simple and fun activity that most people with a bit of a green thumb can do - right in their backyard. In 2002, our volunteers propagated over 120 000 indigenous seedling that were planted out in rural Victoria!

http://www.treeproject.asn.au/

duane

Post by duane » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Matt

What a great community project!!

Of course, my personal hope would be that the majority of native species planted out would be fire retardant species not fire promoting species.

This was the recommendation of the Royal Commission after the Ash Wednesday fires in '38.

Not one fire retardant species was planted. And look what happened.....

matto

Post by matto » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:39 am

Good point Duane, everything in its right place.
I was interested in this project, and like the idea of community support. It was suggested on a transition towns site to set up urban orchards and urban farmers vege plots.
I will look into it a bit more and see how they use design in working out what species to plant where. And if they are open to using non-natives.

duane

Post by duane » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:50 am

These are all tremendously good ideas.

Please let me say, I am NOT against the promotion of native spp, never was and never will be.

But we have NOT got the balance right in the planting mix currently in our landscape.

Most of us eat non native animals, fruits and vegetables.

We don't demand Native foodstuffs, so why are people all hung up about only planting natives??

There are lots on both native and non native fire retardant spp we could use......let's just stop spreading the plants that PROMOTE fire.

Surely, that's just common sense.