Native Forests

Where daily bits of info can be added and discussed.

Moderator: webmaster

ColinJEly

Native Forests

Post by ColinJEly » Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 pm

During Peter's visit to Arthur's Creek there was some spirited debate from some members of the audience about revegatating with 'Native' plants. Some years ago there was a bit of a to do when the government was going to log the 'Pristine Untouched' forests of the Black Spur. I was talking at the time to a friend of mine who was an ex-employee of the Forestry Department. He said in his inimitable bushman's way "Pristine, Untouched forest my arse, I hand planted it!" If you can stop your car safely and look on the Black Spur, you will see the trees all planted in straight rows.
If you go to Powelltown and look at the information signs in the town, there are pictures of the hills bare of trees, all clearfelled years ago. The thick forest there now has all been re-planted.
Likewise the Strzelcki Ranges in Gippsland, all cleared once for dairying, and now re-grown. I even have some information from Forestry Tasmania that at least portions of the World Heritage Area have been previously logged.
So it is wrong to talk about 'Native Forests', 'Native Plantations' would be closer to the truth. So there is no earthly reason why these areas can't be re-vegetated with a diverse mix of species?

novaris

Post by novaris » Sun May 10, 2009 8:47 am

"Pristine, Untouched forest my arse, I hand planted it!" If you can stop your car safely and look on the Black Spur, you will see the trees all planted in straight rows.
That explains why we had observed the straight lines of trees many times :lol:
Everything in moderation, including moderation.