Government Waste

Where daily bits of info can be added and discussed.

Moderator: webmaster

ColinJEly

Government Waste

Post by ColinJEly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:11 am

The forests division of the Victorian DSE has two napalm droppers. These are used after a coupe is logged to burn off the slash and make a seed bed so it can be re-seeded(they use a machine like a flying pepper pot and; yes Dorothy all coupes are re-seeded after they have been logged!)
All this vegetation (and carbon!) is going to waste. Surely if they can get logging equipment in to the coupe, they can get in a chipping machine and this vegetation can be mulched and returned to the soil instead of going up in smoke!?

Cheers

Col.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Colin,
Your on to it again!
We only have to look outside today to see what sort of impact the wind is doing to the topsoil. Without a cloud in the sky i can hardly see the sun, i'd hate to hear what tonnes of soil is getting blown away just because of the open ground.
It's amazing what technolgy they use for tree logging,like a walking tractor for steep hillsides. A one man job cutting the trees down, sorting the different sizes of logs, and can also bundle them up ready to be pick up for trucking. All this is done from sitting in an air condition cab, i'm sure that the old days there were more guys on the ground working away doing the same job a this one machine does. Having another machine just like this mulching what is left over would be a better than having the DSE workers on the ground controlling the fire that burn the left over. Doesn't it make sense to the Work Cover people that not having a fire is Safer, let alone being better for even the days like today!
Always keep an open mind