Carbon sequestering

If you have any questions about the new 'Beyond the Brink' book or it's contents, please make them here so others can respond or take part in any debate.

Moderator: webmaster

cheela

Carbon sequestering

Post by cheela » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:48 pm

I have not long finished reading both of Peter's books and feel a great sense of relief that finally we may be starting to get somewhere in the debate of REAL bio-diversity.
I take my hat off to Peter and all his helpers and supporters in bringing NSF to the fore.

I have been working on our rangeland pastoral property in the West Pilbara of W.A. for the last 29 years and have in the last 10 years implemented an intensive cell grazing area on 23500Ha of the 198000Ha lease. The hydrology of the landscape, slowing surface water flows, using Total Green Surface Area ( TGSA ) management methods, keeping fire out of our system, using long rest periods in our grazing etc. All of these things and many others that Peter has covered we believe as the only way to recover the pastoral rangelands to get back to sustainability.

We have just recently entered into a project with the W.A. Dept. Ag. ( we are very lucky to have a small group of " technical " people willing to look outside the square ). The Carbon Capture project will use our property as "one" to use in measuring Carbon levels and changes in our pasture system.

So a question I have for Peter is. Will grass sequester more carbon into the soil than it takes out of the soil if it is grazed correctly and the natural hydrology and cycles have been restored ?
In other words.
At Tarwyn Park did the soil carbon levels increase and continue to increase in the grass pasture areas ?
Or did they increase to a point and "level" off ?
What type of measuring did you use if it was measuered ?

I will have more questions no doubt as time goes on, because I would like to find out more on how I could improve our hydrology in our area.
Especially in the area of slowing surface water flows to stop errosion.
Take care. Look forward to your reply.
Evan

duane

Post by duane » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 am

Evan

This is a great post!!

Thank you for your interest in Peter's landscape descriptions.

I believe you have posed some very seminal questions to which I want Peter to post a reply.

I can give you my understanding but a lot of my knowledge is linear and not whole systems like Peter's.

Therefore. I would not be doing justice to your very important ???.

Peter will be in Geraldton late March/ early April for the launch of the Mid West Chapeter of the NSA.

Maybe you could fly down and meet the man.

cheela

Post by cheela » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks Duane,
Do you know who is organising the Mid West chapter.
Regards Evan

duane

Post by duane » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Evan

I still have to reply to your earlier email.

But the Mid West NSA Chapter is being organised by Alex Aitken.

Mid West Chapter (Inc)

Alex Aitken - President

P (08) 9310 6306 M 0417 176 275

E kd1rural@bigpond.net.au