Aagghhh!

If you have any questions about the new 'Beyond the Brink' book or it's contents, please make them here so others can respond or take part in any debate.

Moderator: webmaster

ColinJEly

Aagghhh!

Post by ColinJEly » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:23 am

In 'Beyond the Brink' Peter talks about alleopathy of plants, I guess this doesn't apply to grass otherwise we would never have pastures or lawns for that matter. Also he has talked about when the soil is repaired that grass will always outperform weeds.

Does this mean I have no hope of keeping weeds, mostly grass, out of my flower beds?? :cry:

duane

Post by duane » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:20 pm

Col
Grasses were the last group of Angiosperms to arrive on the evolutionary scene.

They came because the natural sequence that occured before their arrival meant that the fertility had been laid down by all the broad leafed plants and OM and SOM was at its max.

Most grass relies on feeding on the surface fertility because of their fibrous root system. I guess that means for you the grass weeds indicate you have good surface fertility in your garden. Well done!

Suggest you get some ground cover to outcompete the grass or apply a good mulch of wet newspapers following by 100mm of mulch cover.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:46 pm

It would be the same too if we had crops going in the same soil. As the soil is at its best to let the grasses out compete the weeds, crops will grow quicker than grasses and block out the sunlight to let the grasses grow. Once you have harvest the crops the plant matter that grows will be the one that will grow best in the soils in the conditions after harvest.
Always keep an open mind

ColinJEly

Post by ColinJEly » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:26 am

Duane
Sounds like I need a good Landscape Architect to install fence to fence green concrete! :lol:

Col.

duane

Post by duane » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 am

Col

you dont need a LA.....they dont actually do anything in an operational sense....I know because I used to be one. They have very good finger pointing skills.

What you need is a good Italian concretor who has the right work ethic i.e., " we came, we saw and we concreted"......

ColinJEly

Post by ColinJEly » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:05 am

Aaahh Duane so it is...Veni, Vidi, Vermiculatum! :)