NSF in southern downs and johnsons grass.

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

Kilbilli farm

NSF in southern downs and johnsons grass.

Post by Kilbilli farm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi all,
I am obviously new to NSF and am really exciting about the future of our farm! It is like most of Australia, eroding, depleted of nutrients and lacking in biodiversity... I'm just glad I now have ways to turn this process around! We are near Warwick, in qld, so if anyone applying NSF is near us, I would love to see or hear of your progress.

I understand from the books that's weeds are friend not foe. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where I can find the positive influence of some of my weeds, first and foremost johnsons grass. I have read posts on lantana, blackberry, pattersons curse, tussock grasses etc. I can only seem to find negative KILL KILL KILL info on johnsons grass on the net(and and I'm in no way interested in it :)) I would love to have a better understanding of the positive side of things. Ideas??

I look forward to learning from you all as we go along.

duane

Re: NSF in southern downs and johnsons grass.

Post by duane » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Simple fix for your JG problem.....improve your fertility levels !!

How??

Make some simple NSF contours then add fertility to them in the form of old hay and manures.

Then let Nature and Gravity and plants and water do the rest.

Kilbilli farm

Post by Kilbilli farm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks Duane,

But do u know of a text that could enlighten me to all the benefits of my weeds!? I am wanting to learn this so that when people try to argue that I'm crazy for keeping my weeds, I can say .... Bam!... It adds nitrogen to the soil and helps to bla bla bla. I want to learn it all.. Well.. As much as I can. :D

duane

Post by duane » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:17 pm

There is a great book which is being reprinted at the moment....it's called "Weeds: Guardians of the Soil" by JA Cocannouer.

You can download a copy at http://www.naturalsequencefarming.com/p ... %20(3).pdf

It's FREE and one of the best books on this subject ever written !!

Check it out and let us know what you think.....

PLUS there is more info on this subject at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=711&p=2669&hilit=stuart+hill#p2669

You can also download the links here as well !!! Happy reading.....

Kilbilli farm

Post by Kilbilli farm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Bloody brilliant! Thanks a bunch Duane. That's exactly what I was chasing... :) :)