getting started

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

kaosInc

getting started

Post by kaosInc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi, My husband and I have recently purchased 540acres of grazing land on the darling river just out of Pamona NSW. We have a beautiful red gum forest along the river bank for quite a way. Several paddocks at the front of the property are fairly barren
as they have been used for grazing for way too long. There is also a stretch which looks like it has a salinity problem but our neighbour today told us it is more likely to be sand mixed with clay. All i know is that most of the trees and grasses on this area are dead or dying. It is our dream to re vegetate all of this property. starting off with the dead looking area. We do have a billabong which still has some water in it from the flush which came down a couple of months ago. Neither of us come from any form of farming background, just a couple of closet greenies trying to do our bit for the world. There are no sheep grazing on the property as of today, the neighbors were asked nicely to remove them. We were actually thinking of getting some sort of wetland happening. Is this possible and what is the best way of going about this? We do have a water rite which we will use to get a native nursery going so that we can grow trees and shrubs that are native to the property, is this the best way to re vegetate or not. As you can see we don't know much but we do have a belief in Peter Andrews methods. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we really don't know where to start. :roll:

Further to this. Because of the rain we have had lately we have quite a few low lying areas that have retained water and are breeding mozzies by the millions.Is it better to drain this water to a higher level or plant something in these spots to use the water up.