Paddock Levelling

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

musicalvalley

Paddock Levelling

Post by musicalvalley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:17 am

We need to reduce the roughness of a paddock so we can cut hay next season. It has been suggested to us to power harrow, and then run a smudger over it. We are happy with the pasture species present, as very varied, but are also wondering if we should re-seed at the time of harrowing. Any suggestions on either the power harrowing or the seeding.

jenni

Post by jenni » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 am

is it really that rough how is the roughness going to impede on the haymaking

musicalvalley

Pasture Levelling

Post by musicalvalley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:20 am

Yes, its really rough. We had hay cut this year and the contractor was unable to get tight, even sized bales.

Stringybark

Post by Stringybark » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:10 pm

How has the terrain got anything to do with the internals of a baler. I would get a second or third opinion from some other hay contractors.
Can you post some pics of the paddock in question.
I've baled in paddocks that have been deep ripped with a Yeomans type implement. Although it is as rough as hessian undies and you need to operate slower to look after yourself and the machinery, the fodder is still cut and raked into windrows that are picked up by the baler. How tight and even the bales are has more to do with the operator and the machine, than whether your paddock is glass smooth, or like a corrugated road.

musicalvalley

Post by musicalvalley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 pm

So what you're saying is rough terrain is an excuse for shoddy workmanship! Being a female who has almost no idea of the working internals of anything mechanical, I guess I had that one coming. So thank you. I would much rather leave my paddock as it is.

duane

Post by duane » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:54 pm

MV

You have perfectly described a natural phenomenon of Australia's landscape to allow moisture to be held in what is known as crab holes or melon holes.

These act like a mini wetlands. Catching and holding moisture and distributing it and fertility laterally.

To level it would be to destroy a great natural asset.

Get a new hay bale operator.