How to apply NSF principles in the coming fire-risk season

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

gipsyrose

How to apply NSF principles in the coming fire-risk season

Post by gipsyrose » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:50 pm

We live in central Victoria in a very small town just north of where the Kinglake Ranges fire started. Our block is 3/4 of an acre and it backs onto the local creek which runs some of the time in some winters. The block also has a deep washway running through the middle of it that carries water from road runoff to the creek. I was told when we moved in that platypus had been seen in this washway in the mid 1990's.

I came across Peter's work some years ago, stopped watering our garden and let the "weeds" grow. Our creekbank now has a wide variety of plants including lots of blackberry, and the garden beds look overgrown. It's my way of contributing to the health of the land and it seems to me like our small patch of land is healthier. However, unfortunately our willows died this last season, and some of the banks are eroding. I'm not sure what to do about this at present, and I hope to get your thoughts about this at some stage soon.

However, my particular concern right now is how to plan for the coming high fire risk season. With our recent rain (which means the creek is now running!!) the weeds have grown well. Letting these either die back or cutting them back creates mulch which is a significant risk in terms of the fuel load right near our home. There is also a signifcant fuel load in the creek and washway. Plus there is quite a bit of shrubbery around our house. It seems to me that removing this wonderful living green matter is contrary to Peter's principles, but at the same time I want to act in a responsible way. Our fire plan is to leave early, however, conventional practice suggests that we are defying logical fire prevention planning by having so much that is a fire risk close to our home.

I really don't want to clear all this wonderful restorative bio-diversity, but I am wondering if we should be. Your thoughts on ways to think about this would be most welcome.

ColinJEly

Post by ColinJEly » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:37 am

Gypsyrose
I am not a farmer but have some experience with fire fighting. For my two cents worth I would keep growth down during the summer, it will always regrow. I know it is nice to live out of the city,but seeing some of the photos of the aftermath of Black Saturday, there is no way that I would have had large gum trees within 10 metres of my house. Some years ago when I was working in Frankston at a government research station, I was out the back doing battle against the pesky rabbit, I was walking through some tea tree scrub, not even anything very tall and surprisingly I can't remember many gum trees, a few pines, as it used to be a plantation, anyway I became aware of the smell in the air, all the volatile oils, I was scared shitless and beat a hasty retreat! :-)
What do others think?
Cheers
Col.

duane

Post by duane » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:23 pm

There are some photos on this forum of areas which avoided being burnt due to having moist fire retardant plants and vegetation.

I am not saying anything contrary to your fire plan or Col's advice.

Plant more willows along the stream and gully and choose the fire retardant natives and exotics that will recreate the 'rain forest' mix that is still extant or that is similiar to what once existed.

There is one thing that will stop fire from taking hold....and that is water in all its forms. In the ground, in the creek and gully, in the vegetation, in the mulch and soil organic matter, in the wet soil, and in microsprinklers on the roof of the house.

All precautionary.....but with no guarantees.

And don't plant any eucalyptus.....they are fire promoting weeds!!!