Cutting a contour with a bulldozer

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

roo friend

Cutting a contour with a bulldozer

Post by roo friend » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi...I'm just about to divide a paddock into 3 using nsf principles, and using a bulldozer. This is my plan: push up the contours from below using a swewed blade to a height of about half a metre. Also I'm planning to redirect a lower dam feeder drain gently uphill in about 3 places so that its overflow goes into the next one along, creating shallow crescent-shaped ponds that will eventually hold weeds, rubble, logs and so on. They will still drain to the dam, but much slower and recharge everything below them at the same time. Any comments are very welcome. :lol:
Roo Friend

duane

Post by duane » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Can I call you Skip??

Skip

Can you draw what you have and are wanting and then put it up here so we can all get a look and then can comment??

Not sure how you
redirect a lower dam feeder drain gently uphill
get water to run uphill?

A contour is just that....all on the one level.

A drain is a drain...it runs water away.

The Australian landscape because it is SO flat ran its water system on contours.

That is a KEY principle of our natural landscape and Peter's NSF principles.

Having a drawing would help greatly.

roo friend

Post by roo friend » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:53 am

Hi Duane...
skip here (aka roo) thanks for the reply mate and the reminder of the theory. Yeah the drain's bank will be led uphill, and the water will follow that new bank uphill as it backs up, so I guess water can run uphill if you look at it that way,creating a soak, but that isn't the point really, I'm after anyone whom has experience building a contour with a bulldozer. Working from the bottom seems to be the go. Anyone out there?

cheers 8)
Roo Friend

duane

Post by duane » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Skip

Contact me by clicking onto my PM (private mailbox) above.

I will put you in touch with Peter.

piggers

Post by piggers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Are there any updates on this? I would be interested to know how this is going..