yellow burr weed

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

jenni

Post by jenni » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Well now the area previously covered in amsinckia is covered in marshmallow. I am thinking that instead of slashing this year I'm going to let it grow out instead. I think the slope is too fragile and the slashed organic matter will just run off and the sandy soil with it. That said I think that The locked up tree line along the break of slope directly above the area and the reasonable groundcover we have been keeping has meant that the hill and slopes have faired very well through the 13"
of rain we've had this year- including 85 mm in 3 hrs on Monday night. Isn't marshmallow an indicator of high fertility low carbon?

jenni

Post by jenni » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:57 pm

I forgot to say that there us also heaps of heliotrope. Sounds productive doesn't it

duane

Post by duane » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:44 am

Jenni
Its interesting to watch the progression and the different plant cycles.

This is real natural sequence happening: first Amsinkia>> Marshmallow>>>heliotrope

Each cycle is adding and rebuilding the soil. Allow the progression to continue....you should end up with good grass as a result when Nature determines that your soil is back in balance.

But its important too to remember that BALANCE is a dynamic state.

Animals grazing, insects eating or harsh weather can disrupt the balance at any time.

Peter often says to farmers "If your farm is green and growing, it's being productive (plants with Sunlight are making a product) and farmers can turn that product into something they can ultimately sell". If you were to poison the weeds it would be costing you money. This way you are recycling organic matter and it should be costing you very little in outlays.

jenni

Post by jenni » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:54 am

It is interesting Duane there was also a carpet of 'mustard weed' in between the amsinckia and marshmallow. The area is a quarter of the paddock and really needs fencing off. The sheep always graze this bit first. There is also a fair bit of clover amongst the weeds

jenni

Post by jenni » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:49 pm

thought it might be interesting to note that the cathead explosion i was having anxiety attacks about has been thoroughly doused by some lovely caterpillar.the catheads have been wiped out.the caterpillars have eaten the seeds and nested in the leaves and have touched nothing else in a very mixed pasture

Shirley Henderson

cathead

Post by Shirley Henderson » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi Jenny, do you have pictures of the caterpillar that eats the cathead? Just very curious.
Shirley

jenni

Post by jenni » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:34 pm

hope this worked if so i'll put up another one my photos aren't great

jenni

Post by jenni » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:38 pm

jenni

Post by jenni » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:40 pm

jenni

Post by jenni » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:56 pm

well that was a first thankyou shirley for the instructions.so we have a small whitish critter with a black head.i got this one out of a seed the plant turns white (3rd pic) in death

Shirley Henderson

Post by Shirley Henderson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Thats great Jenni, Isnt it wonderful the way these things just suddenly turn up. I have seen a similar small caterpillar eating the flowers/seeds of the cape weed at the reserve where I work. Everyone is told to spray it but the caterpillar does it for free. Diversity is a wonderful thing!
Shirley

duane

Post by duane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Jenni

I think you may have a moth or beetle larvae...it may be a small weevil.

You can always collect some seed, put it in a jar, puncture the lid and see what emerges.

Shirley Henderson

Photos and ID of larvae plus butterlies

Post by Shirley Henderson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 am

Jenni,

http://users.chariot.net.au/~rbg/karsandra_ds.htm
Check this out. Could this be what you have found?
There are pictures too.
Shirley

jenni

Post by jenni » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:16 am

I am seeing lots of moths the same or similar. I think it may be the one. Interesting that the article said we need to re establish all the host plants EXCEPT caltrop- or what appears to be in my case anyway the most significant host plant.

Shirley Henderson

Post by Shirley Henderson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 am

Yes Jenni, I was also surprised to find that it said "except Caltrop" as this has been such a major problem for farmers. In the past it has been preferred to use chemical controls but low and behold all along it has been known that this little butterfly could do the job and be conserved at the same time.
Keep a record of your obs and lets promote the natural safe way. What will come next?
Shirley