What type of seed?

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

kez

What type of seed?

Post by kez » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:42 am

I have some bare patches of dirt in the paddock and was after advice on what type of seed I need to spread. The paddocks have beef grazing on them and I live in western vic. Is there any particular mix of seed or supplier that people can recommend?
Thanks

gbell

Post by gbell » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi Kez -

I am NOT an expert, but here are some ideas (and questions).

Are the patches bare because they keep getting trampled by the cows? If not, then you're saying even weeds won't grow there. That's trouble. If its sun baked and too dry, then getting that soil covered would be priority #1. Perhaps some mown grass from somewhere else, straw, any mulch to cover the soil, retain moisture, and feed the soil. 10cm or so - it'll rot down.

You might try overseeding the mulch with whatever's cheap and likely to germinate this time of year. Even birdseed maybe - cheap, diverse, and makes a decent green manure crop.

Just some hairbrained ideas. Again, I'm not an expert or even that experienced. Just getting the ball rolling...

kez

Post by kez » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:05 am

Sorry I should have been more specific. The bare patches are where I sprayed capeweed (before I had read Peters two books). I have slashed the remaining capeweed but wanted suggestions for good grass mixes (to sow on the bare patches of soil) so I can get a wide range of species.

gbell

Post by gbell » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:54 pm

I've had good luck getting ryegrass to germinate this winter on bare, pugged mud. Might be a little late for it though.

If I were you I'd either:

1) Ring your local DPI and get a pasture expert to make recommendations.
or
2) Just go to your local produce store and get a mix, emphasising what's cheap. What doesn't germinate now will germinate later.

Ian James

Post by Ian James » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:53 pm

spread hay over the area for the stock to eat.

Their shit and piss will fertilise the area the hay will not all be eaten and will be a great mulch and all the seeds in the hay and there will be many will germinate like crazy next time you get a decent winter rain....

In the mean time the left over hay will stop the bare ground from being further degraded by the wind and rain.

Good luck, works a charm for me, even on salt scalds..... they end up becoming the most productive areas of my paddocks after this treatment.