Alellophathy

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

drpat

Alellophathy

Post by drpat » Tue May 05, 2009 9:31 am

In Peter's book he states plants won't grow in their own waste. I see no evidence that this is the case with Eucalypts. In fact they seem to thrive in their own waste.
Does anybody have any ides about this?
Steve
Alice Springs
Centre of the Universe

Shirley Henderson

Eucalypts

Post by Shirley Henderson » Tue May 05, 2009 10:33 am

I would like to have a go at a reply. From my own observations Eucalypts drop waxy, oily leaves that do not break down quickly. They sit for months drying out and eventually when they begin to break down it is usually with a mix of other debris, droppings, grasses, bark. leaves, and general forest floor debris. They also dry up and blow away to other areas or into piles where many more events begin to occur. Generally when the water holding plants such as weeds, shrubs and herbs break down they begin a rotting process straight away that causes residues. I think that is what Peter refers to in his books. I put wood chipped eucalyptus mulch on my garden all the time and I have a number of large Eucalyptus surrounding my home that drops copious amounts of seed. My garden is not full of eucalyptus growing although occasionally one pops up from seed but that is usually in a plant pot or garden with no mulch. In the woodland nearby there are many remnant forest Eucalyptus but the forest is full of other plants. It is not a mono culture. Usually when I see Eucalyptus leaves being broken down it is by fungus growing on them. The fungus breaks down the Eucalyptus leaves and is often eaten by animals so the leaves are processed through Fungus and gut. I am sure there are other events that happen but these are my own observations. What do you think about that?

Shirley Henderson

Post by Shirley Henderson » Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 am

drpat

Post by drpat » Tue May 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks for the reply Shirley Your theory sounds feasable and yes I have observed seedling coming up in pots and areas free of Eucalyptus leaves. I guess what I was wondering was why established Eucalptus continue to grow in their own waste.
Love you photo
Steve
Alice Springs
Centre of the Universe

Shirley Henderson

fungus

Post by Shirley Henderson » Tue May 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Fungus is really interesting in itself. The fungus lives in soil, rotting debris, rotting logs, in trees, plant matter and even living things. I have seen fungus that lives in caterpillars and eventually the fungus takes on the shape of the caterpillar after it kills it. What we see on the surface (the mushroom look) is just the fruiting body after all the eating has happened or is happening. The fruiting bodies come up and spread their spores to continue the cycle.

greg

Fungus

Post by greg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Gidday shirley
I read your comment on fungus breaking down gum leaves and thought I would check out my place. I found that areas were there was fungus growing the leaf litter was reduced. i never noticed this before but will be keeping an eye on it, to see if that is the secret. how do you grow more fungus.
Thanks for the info and look forward to reading more of your insights.

Greg

Shirley Henderson

fungus

Post by Shirley Henderson » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:55 pm

HI Greg, Fungi plays a huge part in breaking down everything. The more diversity of mulch or litter the more species of fungi. Mould is also fungi. Fungi feed on plants and animals. The main part of them is underground or intertwined throughout rotting logs, soil leaf litter etc. They pretty well disolve everything they feed on and turn it into good soil. Some fungi will only grow in association with particular plants or have their own special requirements but many are just everywhere doing good work. Watch out for the Bracket fungi on trees. Ill post a picture but there are many different kinds. They all grow out from tree trunks like shelves though. Sometimes when I see a dead or dying tree, I go and have a look at the base of it and sure enough there is a Bracket fungi there. By the time it fruits and is visible, it is too late for that tree. On your properties where your good trees are required you might want to get rid of them to stop them spreading to others but in the bush they belong. Anyway they kill the trees. In the mean time if you have plenty of mulch that needs breaking down try just searching your local bushland after rain. Collect a few and throw them in your patch. They will pop up next time it rains if the mulch and leaf litter is appropriate for the species. My garden is full of them mostly introduced with mulches.
Hope this helps
Shirley

Shirley Henderson

Bracket fungus...kills trees

Post by Shirley Henderson » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:43 pm

Ian James

Post by Ian James » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:40 am

Good stuff Shirley.

Fungi is definately the microbe of the moment.