NSF and Emissions Trading

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

g_ordo

NSF and Emissions Trading

Post by g_ordo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi there, my first post so will try to make sense.

I can see an opportunity for the NSF community in that it could benefit from the Emissions Trading Scheme whereby carbon credits could be traded with polluters etc, in return for cash.

I understand (I think) that the Greens (Bob Brown) doesn't like the idea of planting trees for money in exchange for credits, thinking this will reduce "viable" farming land to plantations purely for this exercise. I see that this is possibly flawed in that he is of the mindset of "european farming practice", and that the Natural Sequence Farming method is actually able to work within this scenario, make a profit on all sides, and actually no-one loses.

I am sure I wouldnt be the only one thinkin along these lines.

I am glad to have possibly come across an answer to the countrys problems, and I look forward to the day where I am able to have an input into being part of the solution.

Cheers Gordo

duane

Post by duane » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:46 pm

Gordo...welcome.

Your words:
I am glad to have possibly come across an answer to the countrys problems, and I look forward to the day where I am able to have an input into being part of the solution.
epitomise the answer to our most pressing concern...the deterioration of the environment that supplies us with EVERYTHING we need.

We need many thousands more like you especially in our farming communities.

Ian James

"Men of the Trees" and "Carbon Neutral"

Post by Ian James » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi, it is an interesting idea to merge NSF with carbon sequestration and carbon trading schemes.

Today I had a visit from two girls who represented "Men of the Trees".

I invited them since I had received an e-mail from one of them informing me that they had 200 000 un-allocated trees available for planting this August.

They had become aware of our Avon Catchment Natural Sequence Association through the publicity we received last week when Peter visited our catchment as a Key note speaker at the Earth Solutions Expo held here in the Avon.

They contacted me, as the president, through Duane to explore the possible interest from within our association for the planting of these trees.

This is what I learnt.

Men of the trees is a not for profit organisation which has been functioning for the last 30 years.

The primary goal of the group is to assist in the restoration of the environment through the planting of trees.

The group through funding supplied by "Big Business" and with the help of volunteer helping hands have played a large role in the environmental work done but have struggled to make a fundamental impact on slowing the continuing degradation of farm land across Western Australia.

Three years ago though, with the rise of the "Carbon Credit" economy/ debate, a few lateral thinkers devised an off shoot to Men of the Trees which is called "Carbon Neutral".

Through "Carbon Neutral" companies that will possibly factor heavily in any future carbon trading/credit scheme are encouraged to invest funds to be managed by Carbon Neutral where trees are planted by Men of the trees and are carefully planned and organised so that all carbon sequestration taking place in each particular plantation is pooled by Carbon Neutral and allocated to an investor on a funds for carbon basis.

The land holder/manager is not required to do anything other than make his land available and to agree not to destroy the plantation. Stock are free to graze the land after the initial nine month period and the land holder will receive a payment per Ha, based on the amount of carbon that is being sequestered.

The payment is not payed for the first three years but then increases yearly after that until a decade from the date of planting.

There are two basic variety mixes available being oil mallee monoculture or a bio diverse mix with the focus being on local native species with oil mallee as the prominent species of the mix.

The Oil Mallee can be harvested after five years without affecting scheduled payments to the land holder with all income from the harvest being available 100% to the land holder.

Oil Mallee can recover from the harvest procedure completely and are available for harvest every five years for the life of the plantation.

As a result of the meeting on my farm today it has been decided to continue with the paperwork to enable the 200 000 available trees to be planted at no cost to myself this year as a part of Avon Catchment NSA demonstration on my farm.