Rabbits

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

Windee Hill Station

Rabbits

Post by Windee Hill Station » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:09 pm

I live in the Flinders Ranges and we have a lot of rabbits on our property, they eat the very little that does grow! I want to know if ripping up the rabbit warrens are a good idea or not (as this would have the same effect of ploughing would it not?) But the fact that rabbits dig holes in the ground means that they are doing the same thing anyway! My feeling is that I should rip the warrens and instantly plant on the soil. What should I do?

duane

Post by duane » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:23 am

You are right on all accounts.

You may need to follow the advice below before you rip all the warrens...taken from http://www.animalcontrol.com.au/rabbit.htm

Peter suggests that ripping the warrens is essential as it takes away habitat, but controlling them is obviously still very important.

After the ripping, he suggests planting COARSE vegetation such as wattles etc so they can get down into the furrowed ground.

For a rabbit control programme to be successful, an integrated approach is vital. Shooting, baiting or fumigating without follow-up warren or harbour destruction will leave ready-made homes for young migrating rabbits from surrounding areas.

Landholders should seek advice from their local government agency, licensed contractor or Landcare co-ordinator. These skilled staff can provide information about supplementary action for rabbit control including:

fumigation of warrens;
fencing;
destruction of warren systems;
removal of rabbit harbour; and
shooting.
The aim of any rabbit control programme should be to achieve local eradication and to prevent re-infiltration. One of the best approaches to achieve this is to work with your neighbours or local Landcare group. Group programmes achieve the best results and lowest long-term costs as rabbits are removed from a wider area. The wider the area of the group programme the better the chances of limiting rabbit re-infestation.

Ripping warrens and destroying harbour assist in long term rabbit control by making it difficult for rabbits to find ready made shelter.