the future of slashing

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

nik

the future of slashing

Post by nik » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:39 am

Hi Duane

I was wondering whether Peter had any ideas on how to appoach slashing and mulching in this new era of expensive fuel. As the cost of fuel keeps escalating the ability to run the slasher as often will likely decrease if not stop.

The alternatives besides manual labour would be to use animals that eat weeds and the manure recycles the nutrients back into the soil.

Any thoughts?

ColinJEly

The future of slashing

Post by ColinJEly » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:25 pm

Hello Nik

Well apart from animals eating the plants directly, what about a bit of horsepower?

What they don't directly eat, they can pull the slasher for, and you have an environmentally friendly 'exhaust' !
:D

Cheers
Col.

duane

Post by duane » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 pm

All of the above or a friend of mine is using cottonseed oil instead of diesel at @ .60 cents a litre.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:34 pm

I have looked into different ways of making fuel go further and here are a few that i have come across. Gas mixed with diesel as a twin fuel setup not a dual fuel, which makes more horsepower then inturn uses less fuel for same horsepower. One that i will be trying out is making hydrogen from water and again using it as a twin fuel system, claims being made between 30 to 70% more milage from one tank of petrol, also looking to see if it works with diesel.
Always keep an open mind

ColinJEly

Post by ColinJEly » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:02 am

I have just read a book by Prince Charles about his property at Highgrove. There is a picture of him using a horse drawn mower in one of his paddocks. What is it they say, "everything that goes around, comes around" :D