Peter on TV

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

rambling rose

Peter on TV

Post by rambling rose » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:13 pm

I was very interested in Ray Martins story on Peter Andrews and the great work he is doing. I have been a natural farmer all my life, but my place just does not seem to look as good as it should. I have always liked big Scotch thistles much to the horror of my neighbours. I know for a fact that they think I am a bit odd growing thistles but my stock always look good and those Thistles have got me through droughts on many occasions. I have been looking at some old photos of the property taken in 1918 and I was amazed at all the Willow Trees that where growing back then, I have been talking to some of the neighbours this morning and the ones who admitted to watching Peters programme reckoned it was all nonsense, they just can't accept that weeds are a good thing, they all have spraying equipment permanently on their Utes and their farms look like moonscapes. I was telling them about the Willows growing years ago and they reckon the climate has changed so much the Willows would not grow now. I am going to have a go at growing some. I was looking for some cuttings this morning and where the Willows used to grow they have all been cut down so it is going to be hard th find good cuttings :lol:

duane

Post by duane » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:11 pm

It is a huge paradigm shift for farmers and people to make on the issue/benefits of weeds.

Willows on the other hand were planted in their thousands by the authorities after the damaging wet period of the 50's 60's. They are known world wide as primary succession plants and for years they have repaired the deeping erosion of our river banks and streams. They have provided habitat for fish and invertebrates.

The current removal policy is a complete furphy...it is based on the amount of water willows extract from our waterways. And the fact that they are non native.

Willows, in fact, perform a very important climatic function in that they reduce the effect of climate change because each willow is equivalent to 29 reverse cycle air conditioners. The water they evapotranspire each day comes back in the short water cycle each day, cooling the landscape during the day and warming it at night. That moisture comes back each night as dew as is 100% available to plants.

Local endemic reeds such as Phagmites actually evapotranspire more water than willows leaving that argument without any substance.

antigoon

Post by antigoon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:05 pm

For those who missed it, you can see it at http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cov ... e_2349.asp