Soil Aeration

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

casey

Soil Aeration

Post by casey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi all, first post here after being very late on the bandwagon and only just recently accidentally stumbling across NSF on the internet.
I was encouraged to read of concepts which aligned with observations and queries I have made on my own land. These principles are still very new so looking forward to reading more and implementing.

I was initially contemplating a Yeomans plow to revitalise the compacted paddocks after it’s many previous years of farming but came across this implement and wondered if it would perhaps be better: http://www.johnberendsimplements.com.au ... ators.html Searches on this forum don’t seem to reveal many supporters of the Yeomans plow.
Clearly it isn’t a ‘natural’ product but nor are the introduced heavy, hard footed animals grazing the landscape. Seems it would open up the soil surface to allow the rainfall to penetrate and create the voids below for the microbiological life- working similarly to a tap rooted plant (obviously without its ability to draw up minerals).
Reviews seem anecdotal but I can see the general science in it – albeit potentially superficial results.

Interested to hear the NSF view on something like this or is it just a waste of time and money.
Thanks

duane

Re: Soil Aeration

Post by duane » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi Casey

Many adherents think that the Yeomans plough is good and ok for single passing and ripping a contour line for tree planting in hardpan soils compactd by hard hooved grazing animals.